House Rule No. 1

Our family had very few, but very firm house rules. Mostly meant to keep the peace, once a rule was pronounced, it was set in stone. We’re all adults now and we STILL obey the house rules every time we visit home. I actually take great pleasure in invoking this rule even at age 30.

"C'mon girls! Let's get a move on! We're late!"

The girls head toward the minivanChrissy and Charlotte reach for the handle at the same time"What are you doing? It's MY turn to ride shotgun!" "No! y last turn didn't count. It was only a 5 minute ride."Ashley, Tess, and Nicki eat popcorn"Well that's too bad for you. Now it's MY TURN." "That's not fair! MOOOOOOM!""THAT'S IT! From now on, seniority rules. The oldest kid in the car gets to ride in the front seat. No more fighting.""WHAT?!"House Rule No. 1: Oldest gets the front seat

418 thoughts on “House Rule No. 1

1. Celine teoh

Hello, i just love that story! I am sorry for what you have been through. I am the oldest, but i don’t get any special attention. Great story and nice pictures.
        Well done!!!

2. Julia

perfect and so accurate. i only have one sister but we certainly fight as much as five. great job with the cut-outs, the are not too complicated and not too simple. you’ve inspired me!

1. teamteamsg

hi;) Would it be okay if you help us “LIKE” this page: http://www.facebook.com/NOMADICRACE.TEAMTEAM pleeeeeaaaaaseee? we are participating in a 5day 4night camp around Singapore called The NoMadic (Make A Difference) Race- Green Edition. Yes, with our big bags sleeping near beaches, trying our hardest to complete tasks with limited transport and budget on food. do help us “LIKE” the FB page?;( we would really appreciate it :) Thank you:)

1. Gilly

Heehee! This makes me miss my sister and rules made up out exasperation! Tis the season!

Fantastic post! I love all the different facial expressions in the last panel.

1. chrissythehyphenated

Mom of 3 grown-up girls here …. LOVED this! The flannel boards are beautifully done. I’m off to email the link to my daughters. :)

2. Miranda Gargasz

The varying degrees of sadness rock! I LOVE this post. I was an oldest kid, so seniority shotgun totally rocks!

I love it so much! My favorite is the varied expressions on you and your sisters in the final frame.

I know this was a common fight among most siblings. It makes much more sense than the place I wanted to be. I always wanted to sit in the front — but in the middle on the armrest hump. Perfect ejection seat in case of an accident.

4. Diane Henders

Oh, now that’s just MEAN! No fair! (Says the middle child).

I love your creations – such wonderful expressions out of mere scraps of paper. And I laughed out loud at the popcorn. :-)

5. life is a bowl of kibble

I only had 2 boys for a long time. #1 son was odd days. #2 son even. It was hard and firm one their day it was everthing him. Shotgun. First cookies. Choice of tv show. Everything. If someone forgot it was their day, too bad. It worked. As least for me :). no way that would have worked for you all, way too many.

6. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer

Why do I feel a stir of anxiety at the thought of those kinds of arguments? Yes, child rearing might not be is a joy always but your cartoons are.

BTW, it was’t though a reply of yours to my blog, but a comment Rae (of Peas and Cougars) made on her blog saying that you are the hardest working cartoonist she knows.

Ronnie

1. morristownmemos by Ronnie Hammer

You mean it wasn’t you who said that about The Middle Sister???
        Rae, thanks for commenting on my story about the Little Blue Fish.I wanted to tell you that you were right: my husband says he DOES feed green peas sometimes. He has Sparky back in shape by giving him little “meatballs” made of frozen blood worms.

Ronnie

7. Loni.Found.Herself

I adore this posting, and I especially love the little details, like the little snowy footprints.

It’s funny, I remember having this problem with my sibs when I was younger, but then when we were in high school/college, the argument evolved (devolved?) into being about who could sleep all the way across the backseat.

1. themiddlestsister Post author

Thank you! I have so much fun making these, I’m glad when the details are noticed! You know, the idea of stretching out in the back seat and sleeping had literally never occurred to me. We were usually packed like sardines.

8. ChangedByChange

We were a call shotgun family. Being a middle sister myself, this one would not have been a favorite of mine. And….I think all parent’s rules are made to keep peace. Maybe some for protection…but mostly so our parents can make it out alive! Loved you post as usual.

9. Charlotte Belanger

Yeah, getting the front seat was an EXTREMELY rare occurence, I loved this one…so many more unfair house rules to be illustrated, I can’t wait for them! Finally the world will see how hard it is to be (one of the) youngest!

10. The Simple Life of a Country Man's Wife

Loved this! There was only my little sister and I (by 17 months), and we would fight for the front seat for maybe a minute, and she would resign and sit in the back. This, of course, always made me look like the selfish one. This meant my sister was to go first during any other activity, because “she let’s you sit in the front seat, missy, you don’t always get your way.” My sister is a smart one. :)

11. Bountiful Giving

Lovely post. Congrats on FP! Well deserved. Our bickering (car related) was over who sat in the middle of the back seat, feet on the “hump” (back then, there was a hump).Being youngest and only female, I always had the “hump” until Bro #1 went to college… phew then I got the window! Your figures are priceless and you bring up such pertinent topics, we all relate!

12. metalosophy

That’s the way it is in my house. I’ve always had the front seat but now my younger sister is happy because I’m at college and she gets it. My youngest sister doesn’t mind since she still has to sit in a car seat.

13. MJ, Nonstepmom

First, you are quite the artist ! I loved this because yes, I’m the oldest & would have loved this rule. And with my girls, I just avoid the arguement altogether, our rule is “Both in the back!”

1. themiddlestsister Post author

How cool, I love hearing from other people with lots of sisters. There are more rules to come, and I think they are all pretty strange and funny. It’s amazing how kids will drive parents to make the craziest rules.

14. Im Dating A One-Percenter

This post pretty much resembles my life with my sisters. As the older sister, I always wanted to the front seat and got it until my now not so little sister got way taller and stronger than me and bullied me out of the front seat. I love how life just makes it happen- everyone gets turn in the front!! =) Thanks for the great post!!

15. Yatin

Golden rule of my sweet home. I am the boss of this house & I have my wife’s permission to say so. At my home I’ve freedom to do anything I like …. (as long as it is approved, little detail there).

16. Dounia

Your artistic creativity and talent amazes me every time I visit your blog! This post made me laugh so much! This was definitely a rule in our household too, and we still uphold that rule! Doesn’t matter how old we get, I will always let my sister sit in the front seat when we’re back at home, it’s just automatic! My younger brother occasionally needed to be reminded of said rule, but I think he got the hint.

Congratulations on being freshly pressed – it is very much deserved! :)

17. restlessjo

I’m an only child- missed out big time obviously! But your post took me back to hours of playing with fuzzy felts with my daughter when she was small. Thanks for the memory.

18. sbharper

I absolutely adore this post and this blog. Thanks for sharing your snippets of life and artistry with us. And yes, SENIORITY RULES. I was the middle child and I couldn’t wait for when my older brother went off to college and I got to sit in the front seat! This was an especially important rule in our family, because we’re all VERY tall. The oldest kid was generally the tallest kid, too, and it made for a much more comfortable ride if you were in the front. Hugs to you blogger!

19. James

You have one of the cutest sites that I have seen in a long while. I am gonna go back and read everything from the beginning.