House Rule No. 3

Happy birthday to my lovely and wise mother :)

5 Pies!

Clouds look like turles sometimes. Or maybe lambs.

Not a mystery machine.

79 thoughts on “House Rule No. 3

1. Alison Armstrong

I’m doing this with my 6th grade music class at the moment. It’s like scrapbooking but on a computer, except you can add movies, animations, and sound too. The app is free and to publish is free, it just takes a long time to get processed because everyone is keen to be published right now.

1. KC

I am so totally in awe of your ability! All those little teeny bricks…*shakes head* I -so- don’t have the kind of patience it’d take to do that! Not to mention make such funny stories out of them I’m glad you do. I’m selfish…I’ll just enjoy, and let you do all the work! ;)

KC & Co.

1. KC

>;< Wow, that sucks. *laughs* It's still gorgeous, though. What do you do with your pieces when you're done? Do you save them?

KC

2. Winn

OMG that shot of the mom’s expression in the rearview mirror!!! Are you kidding me Nicky??? You are so freakin’ genius! Do you storyboard your ideas? Once again, I am just filled with glee!

3. Monica

Love the gleaming red and green lights. How did you do that? And also, love your mom’s expresson on the rear view mirror – it’s a gem!

4. missemmalou

Haha! Brilliant! My parents had a similar rule growing up! :-) Are you going to apply the same house rule for your daughter?

5. copycatmom

I thought I had all my rules for my girls when they approach that terrifying season in life, yet I see I missed one. Thanks for the reminder ;)
    I really enjoy your posts they are very, creative!

Nicole, when exactly did this take place? I love your blog, but the only thing that confuses me is, there’s no timeline–so, in one post, you’re young enough to have an imaginary friend who lives in the laundry room, and in the next, you’re old enough to be interested in dating boys in vans–but meanwhile, Charlotte is still young enough to play with dolls. Anyway, it’s your blog, but……just a thought.

1. themiddlestsister Post author

This blog is just sporadic memories from when I was age 4-10. There’s no timeline, it’s all just for fun. In the book that I am writing, though, the girls have defined ages and time is linear :)

Well, I still think it’s awesome, and I’m looking forward to seeing your book, if I can get it in Canada. As for the age thing, well, I was going to say that there’s only so much you can do with collage, but you certainly push the envelope on what “only so much” encompasses.

7. pegoleg

I thought for SURE the last panel would have your mom trying to drag race the dude in the van. But rule #3 was a far more sensible response for her to make. Ours was no car dates until senior year.

Happy birthday to your mom!

8. confessionsofaballerunner

Very cool, creative blog. Love the cut-out storyboarding reminds me of beloved puppets and stop-action animation cartoons of my youth. Can’t imagine the amount of time/work that goes into creating these stories, though! You are obviously very patient and dedicated to your artistic craft. Cheers. :-)

1. kofykat

do it now. maybe you could do a contest and give them away or sell them on your blog. i think it’s a splendid idea.

1. themiddlestsister Post author

That is a very good idea and I would love to do it, but I don’t have the money to self-publish. I was thinking an e-book may be do-able if I can figure out how and when I get some spare time. I’m actually working on a full-length graphic novel right now starring the sisters from The Middlest Sister and introducing some great new characters, all illustrated with cut-paper. Maybe I could do some bound copies of the comics as a promotion or something.

1. kofykat

damn that sounds cool. I’m in the same boat, wrote a book but no money to self publish. :-( good luck with it. let me know how it goes.

9. Lori-Ann

That was really neat. My mom would have really loved that. She used to spend hours making felt board stories for her daycare kids, and they always turned out so well. It takes alot to make a simple shape do that much work. The mom’s expression in the rear view was priceless.

10. Pingback: House Rule No. 4 | The Middlest Sister