The Chicken Dance

I assume you are all familiar with the Chicken Dance? (If not, click here! to see a you tube video and become acquainted.)

I still sing the song this way to this day. Thank you, Chrissy.

71 thoughts on “The Chicken Dance

1. Miss Anderson

I had to sing it out loud to get the full joy of it. Amazing. I love the roller skating rink!

2. Eda

Fabulous as usual. And thanks for introducing the chicken dance. I love that it’s described as “unsettling”. I couldn’t agree more. Kiss my butt, Myron!

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

Here in the States, the chicken dance is done at wedding receptions, roller skating rinks, and sometimes school dances. It is possibly the most ridiculous dance to survive decades of other, some would say better, dance crazes.

3. muddledmom

Love how it all comes into view! I can’t hear this song without hearing my father-in-law’s deep voice singing it off-key into the microphone at my wedding. I do like this version better!

1. Winn

OMG- I bet. The small scale you work with( to start with) is a small canvas. That’s why I’m so amazed when I see the tiny details.

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

It gets stuck in my head at least once a month. With that song and the entirety of “Back to the Future 1-3″ and “The Mighty Ducks 1″ constantly running through my head, I don’t know how I ever manage to have a real thought.

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

Chrissy, if you are reading, we thank you. And we forgive you for stealing and subsequently ruining our favorite vintage wool sweater from Cherry Hills. Wait, no we don’t.

That’s the clean version–the dirty one features a certain word that rhymes with “duck.” Anyway, did you recycle the Chrissy cutout from the “I am right, you are wrong” cartoon?

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

Yes, that cut-out is a fan favorite! And by “fan favorite” I mean one fan in particular, my high school BFF. Hi, Ash! :)

That particular cut-out appears every time Chrissy is especially pleased with herself. I think I’ve used it 3 or 4 times so far.

Well, I’m a fan too, and that little slice of Chrissiness is also one of my favourites, so Nicki, I guess your fan base is bigger than you think. ;)

I can only do the chicken dance when I’m highly intoxicated, which is only a small fraction of the wedding receptions I attend. I have a feeling these words will come out of my mouth next time, whether willingly or not.

6. selfharmony

wow i didnt know theres instructions for this lol, some one should write the history of it, because i dont know it really well. i remember watching it when i was a baby, and im from the middle east lol

who invented this dance ?

7. Keaven

My first visit to your blog… Have to say I LOVE IT! The chicken dance is an all time fav, and definitely one to teach all children of the world. This is the answer to world peace!

8. Jen @ A Touch of Lovely

So funny! I had never heard this version of the song until my daughter’s friend taught it to her during a playdate this weekend. Needless to say, I’ve been hearing it ever since and I almost spit my water out when I saw this post. lol. Love it!

9. I Just Want to be Outside

Did you know that in St. Louis, this song is called the DUCK Dance? So weird, the rest of the world calls it the Chicken Dance. The things you learn from college roommates… :P