The Tale of Black Beauty

Some neighbors ended up taking him in, so we still got to run around with him in the woods. He really was a great dog.

87 thoughts on “The Tale of Black Beauty

1. Tin Roof Press

hahahah omg. that looks like the dog we have now. She’s missing a toe, part of an ear, doesn’t like men. My mother loves her. So really it is the total opposite of this story.

2. sj

OMG, the look on your mom’s face is fantastic.

I also loved the rainbows in the clearing. I could hear a heavenly choir singing in my head.

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

:D I have to imagine that is exactly how Charlotte always saw this dog. I’ll always remember his dirty, matted fur and staring at his empty eye socket while Charlotte just hugged and hugged him…

1. sj

HA! I really love the frame with her riding him home. I’m trying to imagine what that would’ve looked like in real life.

3. Lori-Ann

This really made me laugh. I loved your mother’s face. And who hasn’t fallen in love with a mutt? Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. Did you keep the dog? Or was this more in the line with a short but blissful visit?

Oh, okay. I thought that dog looked different from Doogie, but I didn’t see any pictures of him (the other dog) in any other stories. I’m glad this story had a happy ending in real life, though……I’ve found strays over the years, and had to return them to whatever animal shelter was in the area, but I never found out what happened to them. So, I’m glad the dog in this story found a good home at your neighbours’ house. :)

4. Miranda Gargasz

LOL! Charlotte and I are kindred spirits!
    My friend Mary Ann had a son named Dave with the same kind heart as your sister. He walked into the house one day with his hands behind his back saying, “Don’t get upset, but I want to know can I keep it?” Dave, notorious for keeping worms in his pockets and forgetting about them, didn’t fool Mary Ann. “I need to see it first.” Dave then pulled out a possum, complete with tail curled around his arm. Imagine the screaming that commenced.

1. Anonymous

I suspect he was a possum whisperer. At least that’s what I’m going with. Considering I always thought they were nocturnal, I was more freaked it could be rabid! It gives me the creeps just thinking about it!

5. dpbowman

I begged for a dog. BEGGED. Then my parents got wind of a stray we could get a hold of at a friend’s farm. We brought that scraggly Benji wanna-be home. He got chained up outside my room. He didn’t like the dark. AT ALL. He whined ALL night. So, I had a dog for three days, then I begged to get rid of him. BEGGED. No dogs since, Black Beauty or otherwise. I’m cured! ~Loved it, Dan

1. notquiteold

Years ago, a friend asked us to adopt an “adorable little kitten”. We agreed. Then he brought the cat over and it was a dirty scrawny adult cat. And the homeliest cat I had ever seen. Buy you know, after a year or so, he started to look cute to us. We still have Stewart – he’s around ten years old and very handsome (in his own way).

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

Thanks :D I feel bad for Mom… we were always bringing home all kinds of animals. She has a huge soft spot for animals (I even caught her playing with my pet rat once!)

6. speaker7

Fantastic! Mom’s reaction, the real dog. . . I’m amazed that you create so much with felt (it is felt, right?). Love, love, love it.

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

Thanks! It’s paper, actually– some fancy paper, some recycled from packaging, greeting cards, magazines, etc. It’s why I switched from paint to paper as a medium– paper just comes to me in the mail every day for free :) It’s a far cheaper hobby.

7. missemmalou

I truly love this! I love the “sparkle” in her eyes! You were lucky that your mom allowed you to bring him in the house. My parents strongly disliked stray animals. I begged (for years) for my parents to get me a dog, but they never did. Your mom sounds so cool! Again, lovely details!

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

Oh, we never asked permission before bringing all sorts of critters into the house… salamanders, lizards, rats, snails, strays, baby rabbits, turtles… I could go on. Mom loves animals :) (Although she won’t admit to loving the rats in front of “respectable” company.)

8. Monica

What a wonderful make believe! I just love the whole imaginary forest bit and your mom’s expression is superclassic. Poor doggie. But we’re glad he found a home ; )

9. timmer

The little details and choice of material for certain objects is so awesome! But better yet is how the story itself would be great no matter what medium you used to tell it.

10. bhbkidstyle

So true to life, your sis’s reaction! – Great one as usual!

… and I love your new banner! (or is it just new to me?) Makes it easier to identify the characters, too.

11. Sara T

Love the updated banner. Too bad it wasn’t there a couple of days ago when I spent about an hour cross referencing various posts trying to figure out the birth order of you and your sisters! Haha!

1. Sara T

Yes I went to the FAQ because I couldn’t figure out why Nicki (you) were the the oldest. But that too was addressed in the FAQ! Basically, I spent most of my day reading your blog from start to finish :-)

Totally a good day!

12. conanon

Me and my sister used to bring small puppies home and our father shooed them away. Then once she brought a kitten! He couldn’t say no to such a cute little thing; his eyes weren’t even open!

PS – Can’t you tie your laces properly? Just love, love, love the banner!

1. Nicole Smeltzer Post author

Thank you :) WordPress has been my favorite blogging platform that I’ve tried… and I’m not just saying that because they made me a staff pick ;) It has a great community and so many awesome features. I hope you like it here!

This might be in my top five favorite. Of course, it speaks to me and my animal-loving soul. I think I emotionally adopted every nasty stray animal I ever ran across. I can’t believe I never got rabies.

I love your new blog banner!

14. Barbara Backer-Gray

The paper you used for the bushes in the forest is wonderful. It really suggests the dappled light.

15. Pingback: Follow Friday: The Middlest Sister « Drew's Soapbox